Thursday, March 11, 2021

Turning 65 at the start of the pandemic

March 10, 2020, what a day it was to turn 65, marker of entering into the senior phase of life. It was also the last day of normalcy in this country, before the pandemic would officially become the whole story. Everything changed after coronavirus came to town. My entire year, from one birthday to the next, had been spent under new rules. My first year with Medicare for health insurance, my entry into elder-hood, spent in the pandemic. I engaged heavily in online learning, both taking classes and teaching them. I got reacquainted with my free creative artistic expression with some fabulous art classes, most notably the watercolor class with Karen DeLuca. I really appreciated any outdoor activity whenever and wherever I could get it - sailing and paddle-boarding, outdoor yoga classes. I made new friends and deepened my relationship with old ones. I stressed less about time and felt less FOMO than in days past. I figured everybody was staying home now, so being a little bit introverted wasn’t too bad. I’m not sure if my senior status helped me get through the year with more ease than I would have if I was younger, but I believe it did. The timing of this pandemic year was kinder for me than it was for others who were in different phases of the life cycle. Raising young children, attending high school or college, starting out on a career,  supporting a family, the very elderly and alone - all of these statuses would have been much more challenging than what I experienced. I am grateful to have reached another birthday. Thank you to everyone who wished me a happy birthday. If I miss you when your birthday rolls around, please forgive me. (Insert senior memory joke here.) My birthday wish for the year ahead for all of us is that we just heal: all of our collective wounds, our cultures, everything that hurts any one of us, our hearts, our minds and our souls. I wish that we take that healing and apply it to the earth and all its inhabitants. Namasté! Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti. The good in me sees the good in you, Peace, peace, peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Missing Piece to Achieve my Deeply Held Desires

Whenever I say I'm setting my mind to do something, the universe seems puts up blocks. Those barriers often come to me by way of my own ...