Saturday, March 13, 2021

Writing Notebook: Walk in the nature, Branch Brook Park

 Writing Notebook, walk in the nature Branch Brook Park. 

The first thing I saw was a fallen branch. Bark off, branch down, dead wood fell away, I can’t quite tell where it had fallen from. 


Leaves crunching underfoot. Just 3 weeks ago, I was cross country skiing across this same terrain. How different it looks without the snow. It’s funny how much more I notice the trees now without that expanse of white to command my vision. 


There’s the tree I took the selfie from. Hmm, self-referential, will I write a teaching memoir?


Look, a person. standing in the rushes twice as tall as he is. Oh, he’s photographing a pretty young girl in what looks to be a Quinceañera dress. A yellow dress with a full skirt, it’s perfect for this sunny day and perfect for this 15 year old. Proud papa snaps away. Mom stands by smiling and directing. The whole family is inside the rushes. 


A flock of geese think this little bit of water is enough to swim in. They approach gingerly one at a time. As I try to keep my feet dry, the geese are busy trying to get theirs wet. 


Breeze is blowing, shifting the leaves in a noisy mass. Listen, can you hear the wind chimes? High up in a tree, a Plastic bag is caught in the branches. Squint and you’ll see the moon instead against the late afternoon blueness. 


The water squished though my mesh sneaker tops. It was cool and I imagined it to be muddy. Hopefully I’ll walk them clean before their soles hit my rubber car mats. 


Guys have moved near the soccer nets. They are tossing a small bright yellow green tennis ball and getting some exercise. 


Yellow, yellow green, sunny, everything is looking up. I really enjoyed this exercise and plan on continuing to write while walking in nature often. I found it very meditative and a good way to sharpen powers of observation. It lead me to look for similarities, visual consistencies and it was freeing enough to feel like a ramble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Missing Piece to Achieve my Deeply Held Desires

Whenever I say I'm setting my mind to do something, the universe seems puts up blocks. Those barriers often come to me by way of my own ...